Sunday, June 8, 2008

Crossroads Ranch at Last!

I got up early on Saturday...you know that is quite a thing for me to do...it was almost like the feeling you have at Christmas....the big day finally arrived...Donna and I would actually go to the Crossroads Ranch, home of Bud, Temple, and Jack! And not just go there, but ride horses around the ranch and have the opportunity to talk to Marilyn, Temple's daughter..... But there was much excitement before then.... When I got up early, I logged on to the computer and started typing, and all of a sudden the computer just went black!!! and yes, this is the brand new computer...just 8 or 9 days old.....I was so upset....it seemed to ruin the whole drive from Vernon to Frederick...I did have a little fun as I pointed out the RED RIVER---reminding Donna that we had been in Texas the night before... We arrived at the Walker home in time to see the Mule Wagon heading out to the Crossroads ranch....They tried to distract me from the business of the computer, but I must confess I was very upset...finally, we were on our way into Frederick to take some pictures of the horses and us at the courthouse with the beautiful sculpture of Bud and Temple, and yes, Mike, they are just about my size! Sharon was there and a couple of people from the Frederick newspaper....very funny when they ask us to "move over just a bit" for the picture while we are on our horses, just doesn't know how inexperienced we are! We managed to look pretty good, and I think all the people there captured some pretty good pictures.... We were getting pretty hungry so we headed south and went to the Mexican Restaturant, Los Arcos,--great food by the way! As soon as we finished, the rest of the Hewitt bunch rolled into town. While Steve and Marla waited for them to eat, Donna, Matt and I headed east of Frederick to the new historical marker marking the spot Jack caught the wolf with Teddy Roosevelt looking on. Before we made it out of town, I spotted a red convertible mustang, and thought " how fun...oh that looks like my mom's car, oh, that is my mom and dad!" The went with us to the historical marker and then on to the one that marks the Crossroads Ranch. It was nice to see them and have them be a small part of our trip.... At the ranch, they stayed long enough to see that I really was on the horse! I know they aren't the only people who can't believe it. It was really good to see Mike when we pulled up to the historical marker east of Frederick...although he has Harold, the cat, at home, I think he misses us too! Thank you very much for coming and being a part of this day, Mike....I appreciate the effort it took for you to get to Frederick and glad you were there to share this experience with me! What a fun day it was! The Crossroads Ranch is 4 miles off of the highway, and the Walker's had placed fun signs welcoming the guests along the way...they were done in the style of the old Burma Shave adds...really a fun way to get the day started!
I don't even know how to begin to describe the feelings I had as we drove into the ranch.....lots of questions were rolling around my mind, like where was the house, and what was their favorite part of the ranch, did any of these trees grow along the river when the boys were alive, and does it look the same, or different now???? Just by looking around, you understood why Sam Bass was such a great horse on the Red River--he had grown up along this part of a fork of the Red River--he knew his way around the river bottom...It was very peaceful...and just a feeling of amazement about the Walker family for their generosity in welcoming family and strangers alike onto their property, so that this piece of Oklahoma and American history can be remembered and celebrated! Thank you so much Ray and Virginia! Mrs. Kent Walker was riding beside me for a little stretch of the cattle drive, and it was so heart-warming to hear her talk to her young son, age 4 or 5, about the reason they let all of the people come out to their ranch to celebrate the great adventures of Bud and Temple, and to let others know what great boys they were. What a super family! Thank you for the hospitality. I was riding CC during the cattle drive....I will say that he is a great horse, but not as smooth as Patriota and Little John...we got along great though....except for the times the mule wagon came by.....he hated the wagon and wanted to move himself far from it...I must confess that during the cattle drive, I had to concentrate on riding so much that I didn't think about Bud and Temple too much... LOL But I did think that being a cowboy in search of lost calves would be a very lonely occupation...lots of long days and nights away from others... When we were almost finished with the cattle drive, the mule wagon went around us again, and I spied Marilyn! It was very good to see her, and it gave me an instant energy boost. She was so wonderful to talk to....definitely not a reserved person....I can tell she is as adventurous as her Dad....we were able to pose for a great picture with her and Representative Don Armes!! Later in the day we were able to sit and visit and let Matt roll the video camera while she talked about her dad! An unexpected treat was to meet Temple's granddaughter Lynn---what a sweet friendly lady....she had wonderful stories about the love her grandpa (Temple) had for his wife...what a super legacy to leave for your family....She also shared that going to Uncle Bud's house meant that they spent a lot of time in the library, because he had lots and lots of books in his house. Thank you so much Marilyn and Lynn for being so open and sharing your stories with me! Another highlight was getting to sit in the BRUSH ! Thank you so much for that privilege..... All I can say about that is it was "so cool" to sit in the same model that Bud and Temple drove from NY.....you know they had so much fun..... The one in Frederick is in mint condition...a beautiful red just like the boys' car.....The entertainment and dinner were outstanding! Leaving was extremely difficult, but I am already looking forward to next year and seeing my new friends once again! We will be calling you Ray to check in and tell you what is going on......Saturday night we stayed in Apache--Matt crawled in at grandmother's but we stayed at the Countryside Inn....we ate a quick bite at Sonic for breakfast...and then went to G and P's so Matt could get started on his trip to Dallas....Reading the Lawton Constitution on Sunday was a great treat! There was so much coverage of the Crossroads Ranch Reunion and our trip! Thanks so much Zeke! We loved talking to you.... The rest of the day Donna and I took it pretty easy...I even took a little nap...we visited Aunt Barbara, Gage, Julie and Justin! It was really nice sitting outside and getting a breeze at your house.....
More storms in northern Oklahoma.....glad we aren't in a tent out in the weather! More soon....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, found it! Can't wait to catch up! Enjoy NM!
Tracy